To kids growing up in the Boston area in the 1970s and 1980s, one of the most magical places on Earth could be found at 399 Moody Street in Waltham, MA. That was the home of Mr. Big Toyland, the world’s greatest toy store. This wasn’t your usual toy store; you didn’t just go to Mr. Big for the latest He-Man or G.I. Joe figures (although you could–they had those too). You went to him for Godzilla, for Gaiking, for all those imported Japanese toys you didn’t even know existed until they showed up in his ads. Continue reading “Vintage Month > Memories of Mr. Big Toyland”
While I liked most of the MOTU2K figures, I didn’t like the revamped Stratos much. His articulation was limited by his action feature, which probably had a lot to do with it. But ironically, I think it was the consistency and realism the Horsemen added to his design–the feathered loincloth, the jetpack handles–that made him less cool. Stratos is supposed to be a mash-up of various animal parts–it’s part of his charm.
Fortunately, the Masters of the Universe Classics version of Stratos restores him to his flying-monkey-like glory. Continue reading “Review > Stratos (Masters of the Universe Classics)”
Michael Crawford reviews the Hasbro Marvel Legends Icons Dark Phoenix, Colossus, Daredevil and Nightcrawler figures. Excerpt: “At twenty bucks a piece, I’m not going to complain too much.”
Monkey Boy reviews the Hasbro Spider-Man Venom (Mac Gargan version) figure. Excerpt: “Venom is just a solid, well-sculpted, well-articulated figure with a lot of play value.”
yo go re reviews the Hasbro Star Wars Comic Packs Grand Admiral Thrawn and Talon Karrde two-pack from Star Wars: Heir to the Empire. Excerpt: “Both these guys deserved new figures (or a first figure, in Karrde’s case), and you can get them for a good price with this two-pack.” (See also.)
Engineernerd reviews the Hasbo Star Wars The Legacy Collection Jawa and WED Treadwell Droid set. Excerpt: “… overall a well done pair.” Continue reading “Toy review roundup (via Fanmode)”
With the exception of Hasbro’s G.I. Joe and Star Wars, vehicles have become a thing of the past for most action figure lines. That’s especially true for any figure line larger than a 3 ¾” scale. But back in the golden age of action figures, even the lowliest toy line had at least a couple vehicles, be they saddled beasts or gigantic rolling bases (looking back, I’m amazed I had the Technodrome. Thanks Mom and Dad!)
Of the many things it did right, some of the best things about Masters of the Universe were the vehicles. Like the toys, many of them had all sorts of action features and interesting designs. Here’s a list of my five favorite classic MOTU vehicles. Continue reading “Vintage Month > Poe’s Five Favorite Classic He-Man Vehicles”
After his unfortunate accident, I was forced to replace my red-and-blue Superman figure from DCUC Wave 6. Fortunately, the new one I traded for is in working order. (Thanks to anti-hero from the Fwoosh for the trade.)
A few years ago, in a rare rave review of the DC Super Heroes Superman figure, I wrote: “This is everything an action figure should be, and the Four Horsemen and Mattel should be proud.” I stand by the latter part, but it turns out I was perhaps a bit wrong on the first part. As good as DCSH Superman was, he could be even better. Unfortunately, DCUC hasn’t quite gotten there yet. Continue reading “Review > (Return of) Superman (DC Universe Classics)”
OK, you guys complained, I relented. Again. So I’ll go back to asking Matty questions. I missed the March 1 round, so my next round will go up on March 15.
Got any questions for Mattel? Post ’em below and I’ll pick a couple to ask. And be polite. I’m not going to pick any mean-spirited or whiny ones.
EDIT: OK, I picked two questions. Closing comments now. Thanks!
Poor Odds ‘n Ends–I keep forgetting you!
- I’ve got a few more reviews in the pike…both Superman variants from DCUC6, Big Barda from Wave 7 (which I got via a trade), and Stratos. Look for those over the next week or two.
- Speaking of Stratos, I still think it’s amusing he sold out before I even got mine in the mail.
- As you may have noticed, I’ve got a new ad there in the upper left corner. PGPoA gets a commission every time something gets ordered from EE using my affiliate link, so feel free to go through that link whenever you need to order something from them. Really. Feel free. Of course, when it comes to ordering full sets of figures, I recommend Enchanted Toy Chest.
- Great White Snark pointed me to the Internet Movie Firearm Database. If you like action movies and guns, prepare to be distracted for hours!
- If you’re into Masters of the Universe Classics, He-Man.org is currently running a series of polls regarding what fans would like to see in the future.
- If any of you come across an extra DC Universe Wave 7 Flash anytime over the next couple of weeks, pick it up for me and I’ll make it worth your while. Cool?