Month: November 2013 Page 2 of 6
- Dan of the website Chicago Toy Collector created these great custom action figures – in 1980s style – based on classic Atari games. If a Pitfall figure had existed when I was playing it on my family’s Intellivision, I’m sure I would have owned it. Funko/Super 7, are you paying attention? (Hat tip to Robots Pajamas.)
- Boba Fett, a gun, and a little Freudian suggestion.
- ToyFinity has updated their Robo Force comic.
- I’d forgotten all about this, but NECA will be releasing stands for their 7″ figures, at retail, sometime around January. It’s basically the second coming of the popular McFarlane Toys stands (of which I still have a bunch).
- The Kickstarter for the Bio-Mechanical Ordnance Gestalts is about halfway there, with 21 days to go. Doomkick has some early samples to give you an idea of what the final product will look like.
- I have very mixed feelings about the upcoming Bayformers take on my beloved Grimlock, but here’s what may be a look at his robot form. (Also: who am I kidding, I’ll be buying the toys.)
- Presented without comment: there was some trouble with charging collectors’ credit cards for Grayskull. If this happened to you, there’s more information here, and, to quote, “there is some urgency as any unclaimed Castles by Dec 5th will be added to the “day of stock” on Dec 16th at $300.00.”
- Holiday shopping has started, so remember, every time you click my Amazon link before buying anything there, an angel (i.e., me) gets its wings (a small commission).
I was going to add this to today’s Odds ‘n Ends, but it deserves its own post.
Via Brian Marriotti, president of Funko, on the Funko Fanatic:
Freddy Funko has been a busy be lately. We announced our Re-Action line of Alien figures which should be shipping from Funko’s warehouses in the next 2-3 weeks!
We also dropped some hints on some pretty cool licenses like Firefly, Universal Monsters, Back to the Future, Goonies, Terminator 1 & 2, Predator, The Rocketeer, Nightmare B4 Christmas, Escape from New York, Pulp Fiction, Buffy the Vampire Slayers(TV), Star Trek Classic and many many more.
But what you don’t know is that Funko is also announcing a 6″ Premium line called Legacy that will be revealed at Toy Fair NYC with 2 Major license announcements and a few cult classics as well. I mean 2 MAJOR license announcements!
This line will be very much similar in style and accuracy and points of articulation as the Hasbro 6″ Black Series of Star Wars. Some fun eclectic lines will be produced as well like my personal favorite Fantastic Mr Fox!
So keep an eyed peeled for our announcements soon..as you this section of the Funko Funatic Forum to discuss the two new action figure series!
So – WOW. This is, potentially, huge news. It’s like if Shocker Toys was real. A new 6″ toy line based on some of those licenses listed above? Does this mean I might have a Star Wars Black-style Mal Reynolds to hang out with Han Solo? Could that really happen?
I suppose the question hinges on what “some fun eclectic lines” turns out to mean. Some of these licences have current action figure lines at other companies, such as Universal Monsters (Diamond Select), Terminator (NECA), Predator (NECA), and Star Trek Classic (Diamond Select). Still, one can hope. A realistic 6″ Rocketeer? Dare we dream?
(Hat tip to Action Figure Fury.)
First off, a big thank you to everyone who entered the Trygg Poftu contest. As I read each entry, I imagined I was reading through a number of alternate universes where the being named “Trygg Poftu” led some very different lives (often within some very different bodies). The entries ranged from bizarre to fairly serious, although all of them had an element of humor.
The winning submission contained all the qualities I was looking for in a Trygg Poftu bio. The style and tone reminded me of Andy Mangels’s Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Characters, which I’m quite fond of and had in mind when I created this contest. In classic Expanded Universe tradition, it’s exhaustively thorough without being boring. It makes the character important to the Star Wars universe without giving him an integral Marty Stu-like role. It has a great Mystery Science Theater 3000 reference.
Just a reminder, the next Mordles drop is tonight at 9pm ET at the ToyFinity store. This drop will include:
- Zintar Explorer Mordle (a single brown Mordle with bright green highlights)
- Sect of Rand (red with black highlights)
- Underworld (black with teal highlights)
- Imbalance of Blood Mordle (jumbo red with yellow highlights Mordle, seen above)
The jumbo Mordle is a ton of fun, and at $15 it’s pretty reasonably priced for an indie toy of this size and quality.
Here’s the official press release:
Just saw this on Twitter:
Pacific Rim Series 3 news will drop today. 2 different assortments of Jaeger and Kaiju offered at once. 4 new figures coming in March!!
— NECA (@NECA_TOYS) November 20, 2013
I know I’ve got a number of Pacific Rim junkies around here, so keep an eye on NECA’s Twitter account today. (Update: news after the jump.)
Toy Aisle Trolls is a feature highlighting acts of vandalism to in-store toy items. If you find a ruined package, a stolen figure, a swapped-out figure, or any other such acts, take a photo (cell phone photos are fine if they’re not blurry) and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submitted by: JH
I saw this at a Walmart here in Kentucky while doing some toy hunting during my lunch hour. I’ve seen lots of TMNT figs ripped off the card, taped back on and put back on the pegs for sale at this particular Walmart, but this was the first I’d seen quite like this.