Accoutrements is a manufacturer of novelty toys and fun, goofy baubles–the sort of stuff that coats one wall of your local Spencers or Newbury Comics, or makes up 90% of the non-book merchandise at a college store. I remember picking up their Sigmund Freud figure almost a decade ago as a gag, and since then, they’ve added more and more real-life people from throughout history–from big ones like Alexander the Great, Benjamin Franklin and Annie Oakley to completely obscure folks like Seth Godin and “Fuzz.”
All well and good, but seriously, Accoutrements: where is the H.P. Lovecraft figure?
- Mattel hints at new 6″ line, to be unveiled at New York Comic Con: “It is not Thundercats and it is not WWE (come on, how could WWE be a mystery announcement since it is public knowledge that we are doing WWE in 2010!) It is a new 6″ line and it is sculpted by the Horsemen. If that doesn’t whet your appetite we will reveal these figures at NYCC and the first figure in this line will be available at SDCC!” (My guess is it’s a Four Horsemen-created property, i.e., Seventh Kingdom or Magma CORPS.)
- Mattel explains MOTUC continuity, reveals that She-Ra, Princess of Power figures will join line in 2010.
- SOTA announces new statue of Nyarlathotep, one of H.P. Lovecraft’s monstrosities. There’s no pic, but the press release says, “”featuring all the horrific detail of the Messenger of the Great Old Ones,” which is interesting, since unlike Cthulhu, I don’t believe Nyarlathotep has a definitive description in HPL’s work–beyond being a “tall, swarthy man,” at one point, because he’s a shapeshifter by nature. However, most of the HPL-related media (games and so forth) depict him with a tentacle for a head, and that’s what SOTA has gone for here. (Action-Figure)
- Wizardworld has postponed WW Los Angeles and cancelled WW Dallas. No word on when the LA show will resume, but the Chicago and Philadelphia shows will go on as planned. I’m afraid this is just an early casualty of the economy in consumer-based hobbies like comics and toys. (Action-Figure)
- I was at a Toys ‘R Us over the weekend and was surprised to see the Art Asylum classic Kirk and Spock on the pegs, in new packaging. Am I just out of the loop on this? In any event, it’s great they’re re-releasing those.
- TRU will give 15% discount to anyone using a KB Toys gift cards until the end of the month (TFormers)
- Star Wars Legacy prototype pics leaked? (Potf2)
And now, it’s time for the annual post-Christmas tradition of all collectors–the showing-off of the haul.
A compendium of my reviews of horror- and Halloween-related toys. I’ll add any new reviews I do this month as we go along.