Tag: Hellboy Page 1 of 5
As a metalhead raised on a steady diet of Number of the Beast, How the Gods Kill and South of Heaven, routinely accused by my peers of Satan worship, predisposed to favor the darker corners of popular culture, I really should have discovered the wonders of Hellboy sooner; I didn’t become a fan until the release of 2008’s Hellboy II: The Golden Army, and for all my tireless love of that film, I have yet to pursue Mike Mignola’s Hellboy comics, nor the Hellboy prose novels I asked Poe about in response to his considerably more thorough Hellboy-themed Show and Tell from July 2009.
But I do own a Hellboy toy, and I like to think we can all agree: that’s what really matters.
Quote of the Day: “A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.” –Agent Kay, Men in Black
- In case you missed it, I was once again a guest on OrccaCast–this time for the whole three hours! Topics include The Worst Witch, the Rodian language, political ads and oh yeah, toys.
- Hoping to have the reveal of the PGPoA Spy Monkey Creations exclusive by the end of the week, and therefore I’m shortening the contest to end on Thursday at midnight, instead of Friday. So far only one person has guessed correctly. Remember, you can make as many guesses as you want.
- You know what I miss? The old Mez-Itz. Not the Munny-rip-off ones Mezco makes now, but the old ones that were more like block figures with great sculpting. Mezco should have revived that format as a Minimate competitor, rather than going the “hip” vinyl route. But it’s just one more in the long chain of poor Mezco toy-related decisions, starting back around the time they got the Heroes license. Seriously, what a run it’s been for them since then: Heroes becomes awful just as the figures come out, The Spirit bombs, The Wolf Man bombs, Kick-Ass has one good weekend, and Scott Pilgrim didn’t set the world on fire either (and even fans of the comic aren’t exactly excited). The filmmakers of The Green Hornet should be worried. Once upon a time, Mezco made some of my favorite toy lines ever–Silent Screamers, Mez-Itz, Hellboy (movie & comic), and the Goon. Now the only thing they can seem to get right is Living Dead Dolls.
- Anyone else doing National Novel Writing Month? I’m going to give it my perennial shot this year. I’ve only written one sentence so far. But it’s a doozy. Really.
- You may have noticed the new Amazon and TRU ads on the sidebar. PGPoA is now an affiliate of both. The holidays are coming. That is all.
- How awesome is it that we’ve got the Bastards of the Universe here now? I mean, seriously.
- DST answered my Minimate question. Bummer, but not unexpected. Still, Hellboy MMs seem like a no-brainer to me. BTW, the ones above were created by Minimate customizer extraordinaire Bob Harris. Click the pic for more pics of his many customs, including Dr. McNinja and Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.
- Mattel has posted some Shadow Beast pics on their Facebook page. Looks pretty neat, but I prefer Gygor.
- I’ve got a bunch of reviews I owe you, including, of course, Roboto. Planning to get to at least one of them tonight.
- I recorded a guest appearance on OrccaCast last night. It should be up shortly before Halloween, I believe. I’ve also got an appearance on another pretty big podcast fairly soon, but I’m going to save that news for now.
- Finally, I’ve received a test shot of the PGPoA-exclusive Spy Monkey Creations accessory. Some changes were needed, but once I get the revised test shot, I’ll go ahead and make the announcement.
- Question for today: what would you name a subscription for 6″ Back to the Future figures on Mattycollector? My submission is Club Flux Capacitor. Kind of a mouthful, though.