- I swearÂ this paucity of updates is not going to go on forever, or even my choice. Bachelor parties to Vegas, new pets, sick pets, and other non-toy-related responsibilities have been cropping up consistently, but I thinkÂ things will be able to settle down now. I’ve got lots of ideas for posts, I just need to find the time and energy to get them written down.
- Mattel unveiled the first four figures in their new DC Universe All-StarsÂ line, the retail replacement for DC Universe Classics. The figures are the previously-revealed Larfleeze, Superboy Prime, Flashpoint Plastic Man, and a reissue of Batman Beyond. I think I can safely join most fans in a collective “…huh.” My understanding was the new direction of the line was to beÂ synergisticÂ with the current depiction of the DCU and would feature the better-known characters. Flashpoint Plastic Man is a relatively minor character from a very brief storyline wearing an outfit he’ll never wear again. Larfleeze is fine, if not exactly better-known, but Superboy Prime seems a both obscure andÂ dated…does he even exist in the Brand New DC? Doesn’t he represent everything they’re trying to get away from? Still, at least he’s a new sculpt. As for Batman Beyond…it’s nice they’re reissuing him for those who missed him, but couldn’t we get some wings this time? Or at least a properly-colored batarang? To be honest, this is probably a better line-up than anyone was expecting for the new line, which makes me wonder if these particular figures had been slated for DCUC, not DCAS–much as the all-unique Demon and PenguinÂ from wave one of DCUC seemed better suited to DC Super Heroes than the reuse-heavy DCUC.
- New toys I’ve picked up recently: the Arkham City Robin/Joker 2-pack, the 6″ Walmart Captain America (movie version). Reviews forthcoming.
- Check out this awesome guide to creating custom action figure backgrounds and dioramas by Matthew K at the Fwoosh. I tried to get Matt to write this up for PGPoA, actually, but the Fwoosh one was already in progress. Thanks to Battlegrip for the tip.
- You may have noticed some new ads on the sidebar…or maybe you didn’t, if you use Adblock. Anyway, after several years of running this site entirely at my own expense (aside from some associate accounts and Google Ads, neither of which are particularly lucrative), I’ve decided that if I want to be able to support my hobby and keep up this blog, I’m going to need some sponsors. The one thing I can promise you is that I’ll only have advertisers whom I use myself and support. So please welcome BigBadToyStore and Thwipster, and welcome back EnchantedToyChest (who have a great-looking new site). If you would be kind enough to turn off Adblock on PGPoA I’d really appreciate it (I do that for the sites I visit regularly, believe it or not), but I’ll totally understand if you don’t want to.
- Weirdo Toys has a great article on Brad Rader’s Battle Babies. Battle Babies are a line of custom toys featuring babies writing cyborg animals, Dino Riders-style. You can see more at Brad’s Flickr account, and even buy them at his Etsy page. Incidentally, Brad’s wife, the Geeky Vixen, is the editor-in-chief of Pendragon’s Post.
- You may recall my cousin Ed and his reviews of Bif Bang Pow!’s LostÂ figures. What you may not know is he’s also a videogame reviewer for the Adrenaline Vault. He’s got a new review of Elder Scrolls: SkyrimÂ out today–check it out! I’ll be getting my copy tomorrow. I hated Morrowind, but I got really into Oblivion, and it sounds like SkyrimÂ only gets better.
When I was a kid. I was created the toy which may be fly.
Poe, thanks for the link! Any chance you're gonna take a shot at constructing a display of your own?
I'd really like to. Maybe when my life settles down after the holidays (Sister Ghostal is getting married in December).
All I hope is that he does NOT get that gummy joint that caused the infamous DCUC Leg breakage… And the Wings… Funny how Pretty much everyone is talking about Batman Beyond…
Well, I think he was a case of a pretty good figure that could have been a great figure.
Of course, of the three he\’s the only one I\’m interested in because I only collect Bat-characters. I\’ll be skipping BB, though, unless he has either wings or a matte finish.
I missed him the first time and didn't bother hunting him cause of the whole leg issue. Right now he's the only thing I'm looking for on the new DC line…
Giving Batman Beyond wings WOULD be nice–the whole original excuse they gave was that it didn't cost out with the inclusion of CnC parts, as I recall. Which just seems like so much more crap in the face of figures like DCUC Blue Beetle…
Wish theyd remove Batman beyond's gloss,it causes a high probability of breakage in the plastic by making it even more brittle.
Yeah, I was wondering if they'd de-glossify him for the re-release as well. I wouldn't go by that pic, I think it's the same pic they used to solicit the original figure.