- It’s another Mattycollector release day. Today’s sale includes DC Universe Classics Ra’s Al Ghul, John Constantine, and Elasti-Girl; Watchmen’s Ozymandias; MOTUC Geldor and stackable stands and a number of re-releases.
- Castle Grayskull ships soon, but Pixel Dan won’t have an early review due to assholes who nicked bits off the display piece at NYCC.
- In Four Horsemen news, rough cuts of the Raven arrived at 4H HQ, and they’ve also been running a feature detailing the creation of my personal favorite Power Lord, Sydot the scientist. I must say, the various exclusives they’ve done to this point are nice, but I think the Power Lords need to be fully-painted to really be appreciated. I’m hoping we get those, but I’m wondering whether funding is becoming an issue for this line. If so, why not hold another Kickstarter to make themselves more financially comfortable? I doubt they would need as high a budget target they did for the Raven. That said, I must admit I’ve noticed very few, if any Kickstarter projects for Glyos-related toys.
- In the course of getting back into Star Wars via Star Wars Black, I’ve actually gone back and picked up a few of the 3.75″ figures – just my favorites. What’s been interesting about it is that some of the most definitive versions of these characters are nearly a decade old. For example, I picked up the Vintage Original Trilogy Collection Han Solo from 2004; it’s a great figure with great articulation and the best head sculpt I’ve ever seen in this scale. I also got the VOTC Chewbacca and Boba Fett. Each of these figures has been reissued at least once or twice and they’re not that hard to come by. I also picked up the Holiday Special repaint of Fett, because fun. The only other figure I picked up was the Vintage Collection (not “Vintage Original Trilogy Collection”) ANH Darth Vader. This was the only one I had to think about; the VOTC Vader had the better ESB design and a ball-jointed neck but cut rather than hinged elbows, and every other decent Vader Hasbro has made has cloth on the front of his outfit. The VC ANH Vader also has ball-jointed hips, which seemed novel, so I went with that. It bums me out he doesn’t have a ball-jointed neck, though. Not that Vader was constantly cocking his head in curiosity like Data, but I’d like him to be able to look up and down somewhat to add some character to his poses.
- Another thing about Star Wars 3.75″ – the line seems to be on a sudden downhill trajectory, at least for collectors who want well-articulated, highly-detailed figures. The quality on the Star Wars Black 3.75″ appears to be pretty bad across the board, and the Saga Legends figures have only five points of articulation. It’s odd how a Star Wars figure made in 2004 is far superior to most of what’s being produced now. (Though the Vintage Collection just ended and seems to have retained that level of quality – again, this downturn seems to be recent.)
With three weeks to go, the MOTUC and DC subscriptions aren’t in great shape – especially considering we’re nearly a week past the SDCC reveals.
Before we go further, how about a trip down memory lane?
- Poe’s Point > Obligatory Club Infinite Earths Post (July 28, 2011)
- Mattel Updates on the 2012 MOTUC Subscription (August 4, 2011)
- MOTUC 2013 Sub in Jeopardy? (July 20, 2012)
- Club Eternia 2013, Cont’d (July 25, 2012)
- Subpocalypse, Cont’d > The Four Horsemen Make a Personal Appeal (July 26, 2012)
- Subpocalypse, Cont’d (July 27, 2012)
- Poe’s Point > Final Thoughts on Club Eternia 2013 (August 4, 2012)
- Club Eternia 2013 is a go (August 7, 2013)
- Club Infinite Earths Confirmed for 2013 (August 7, 2013)
Now, I’ll be surprised if Club Eternia doesn’t go through. I feel like we go through this every single year, and by August 19 the numbers will be there (or maybe they’ll extend it a week or two). Club Infinite Earths I’m not so sure about. Continue reading “Scott Neitlich (ToyGuru) on the State of the Subs”
Congratulations to the second Red Iron Winner, chucktopley, who will receive a Poe Prize! His funny take on the pose in a “yoga class” blew us away!
Congratulations to the first Red Iron Winner, The Flash III, who will receive a Poe Prize! We were very taken with the ingenuity of using the extended green fist to slam against the ground as a clever take on the pose.
First off, for anyone who hasn’t heard, I’m not going to Toy Fair. There are a variety of reasons for this, but the nail in the coffin was the blizzard. It’s a bummer, but I’ll be doing my usual armchair coverage from here at home. Which, yes, means actual posts here on the site.
It feels like it’s been a while since we’d had a good Digital River/Mattel screw-up. Even the subscription section of Mattycollector was more or less working! But it couldn’t last, and someone digging around in a public image directory stumbled upon a bunch of images of previously-unrevealed Masters of the Universe Classics, Club Infinite Earths and Club Black Freighter products. I’m not sure who first posted the images, but it may have been the DASH blog. Continue reading “Digital River Steals Mattel’s Thunder on MOTUC Reveals (Spoilers)”
So here’s what’s on the menu today:
- MOTUC: Netossa™ (monthly figure, included with Club Eternia® subscriptions)
- MOTUC: Horde Prime™ (remaining Customer Service stock – not included with Club Eternia subscriptions; eligible for Early Access)
- MOTUC: Griffin™ (remaining Customer Service stock – not included with Club Eternia subscriptions; eligible for Early Access)
- DCU: Saint Walker (monthly figure, included with Club Infinite Earths subscriptions)
- Watchmen: Rorschach (bi-monthly figure, included with Club Black Freighter subscriptions)
Just a reminder, subscribers only have Early Access to items from the same line (i.e., MOTUC subscribers don’t have early access to Rorschach).
It should also be noted that the “My Subscriptions” function is finally active, albeit it still appears to have some problems according to early reports. I had to use it myself – despite making a new credit card my default credit card for Mattycollector, I still needed to change the card specifically used for my subscription.
For the first time since the Wind Raider, I think, I’m actually going to be attempting to order something off Mattycollector. I’ve been remiss about posting these “Happy…” Mattycollector posts since the subscription became standard and there have been few things people actually had to order, but the Great Unrest pack is probably going to be popular enough to merit it.
Here’s a review of the Weapons Pak at Fwoosh.